I love the winter months because the best food gets to be eaten without need for justification, the happiest of holidays are during the winter (if you allow it to be happy time), and you have snow and crisp mornings filled with wearing snuggle socks and drinking hot cocoa.
Well, that last part happens about two times total the whole winter. Then you’re sick of the snow, sick of the cold, sick of worrying about the flu coming up and biting you in the ass, and just want warmth.
But for now, I love the winter months!
But because I have super curly red hair and fair skin, winter is kind of like, my jam! I don’t have to worry about finding a sunscreen that is going to have heavy coverage but not break me out all over the place, I don’t have to shave my legs as often because, let’s face it ladies, we all need that extra fur in the winter, and my fro is not going to be frizzed away so I actually have good hair days! Even though I have these luxuries, I still have to be careful of dry scalp, dark circles because it is so gloomy outside, I feel tired more often, and because of dry heat my skin tends to flake.
I wanted to share with you my go-to beauty products for the winter. Even though I don’t wear hardly any make up, I do want coverage in certain areas of my face. I also have a budget, so all of the beauty picks below are affordable products that you find in your super markets and drugstores!
- Head and Shoulders 2-in-1 Almond Oil Shampoo—$5 WalmartI do not usually have dandruff build up through out the year, but in the winter, because my curly hair doesn’t produce that much oil, I do suffer from having a dry scalp at times.
I don’t usually shampoo my hair more than once or twice every two weeks, but when it is time I love to use this shampoo. I started using it in early October of this year, and have loved it since. The almond oil and conditioner makes the formula smooth and doesn’t dry my curls out, like most 2-in-1 shampoos do. Mix that with a good hair conditioner and it makes my hair soft, shiny (in a good way), and bouncy with a delicious scent.
2. Freeman’s Avocado and Oatmeal Clay Facial Mask— $4.29 Freeman Beauty.com or $5 Walmart:You guys, this stuff is the shizz. I love using this product when I have a pimple pop up out of nowhere. just dab it on and keep it on overnight and by the next day it has disappeared! But really, on the gloomy, blah days when I need to feel pretty, I slab this on my face and watch 13 Going On 30 or The Sweetest Thing and it makes the world a better place. But in all seriousness, this makes my skin so soft and glow-tastic when I use it. I usually put a mask on once every couple of months. It smells good, it makes you glow, and helps get rid of all that dry skin you fight in the winter! The great thing about Freeman products, they are not tested on animals, so the product is guilt free as well!
3. Lacura Q 10 Daily SPF 6 Moisturizer and Lacura Q 10 Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream–$5 each, Aldi grocery store:
I found this moisturizer while doing my grocery shopping at Aldi one day last fall. I was looking for a good moisturizer that had a smaller SPF on it, I don’t really need as much of it in the winter (though I do wear sunscreen year round). I was reluctant to buy it because it was so cheap and thought it couldn’t possibly be effective. But, hey, what the heck I said. And I loved it! I thought maybe the improvement was all in my head until I read this article from Buzzfeed where the lady experimented and thought it was delightful! It made my skin softer and smoother and lighter. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the perfume scent, I’m more of a fan of fruity scents, but it is not too strong. I like the night cream better than the day cream, but the day cream is a good moisturizer when you’re on a budget. This is another product not tested on animals!
4. Garnier Renew Dark Circle Roller–$9 ULTA Beauty stores:
Like I said before, I really don’t wear much make up. I do have to wear a little to cover up my dark circles which look even darker in the winter. I’ve been using this product year round for four years. I don’t wear concealer at all, but the fair tone blends in with my skin really well. It also is long lasting so you don’t have to continuously apply it!
5. Flower Ultimate Mascara by Drew Barrymore–$9 Walmart:
First off, I love Drew Barrymore. Second, her products don’t test on animals. Finally, this little product is a 3-in-1 magic mascara wand. It not only lengthens, but you twist it once it curls, when you click it the second time it gives volume to your lashes. No white liquid or second wand needed. I am so in love with this product! It’s not clumpy, it defines your lashes, and it makes your eyes pop like Bette Davis eyes. I wear the brown mascara with my red hair (like Bette Davis taught me), but it comes in other colors as well! This has been the best mascara I’ve ever had. Please give this product a try, you will not regret it!
SOME HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Gold Bond Ultimate Skin Therapy Healing with Aloe Body Lotion– $10 drugstore:This is the only lotion that works with dry skin that seems beyond hope haha!
Mary Kay Sun Car Lip Protector with SPF 15–$8 Marykay.com: A lot of people forget about needing SPF in the winter, and A lot more people forget that your lips are just vulnerable to the sun as the rest of your face. This lip balm is soothing during those -45 degree winter days just as much as the 75 degree days. It’s long lasting, you don’t have to constantly reapply. Though it’s a little pricey for “chapstick” it’s definitely worth it.
What are your favorite products for the winter?